Monday, September 12, 2011

The Pros and Cons of Oregon

Since being here in Oregon I have discovered some big pros about the state, and some big cons too that I thought I would share with you. I hope if you are from here you don't take offense to my list, lol. Enjoy! :-)


Pros:
  • There is no sales tax! This is a big pro when making large purchases! (Unfortunatly it also means I need more luggage space, lol)
  • You are only a few hours away from Seattle, and Vancouver.
  • My friend Amber and her husband live here (All right it's not a pro for everyone, but it is for me, lol).
  • The tempature is normally rather consistent and mild. (Naturally I came during the hottest September on record!)
  • You can be at the beach one minute, and in the mountains the next.
  • The public transit system is very nice!
  • Saturday Market...enough said! (Look it up if you don't know what it is.)

Cons:
  • It is very easy to get lost when there are 3 interstates intersecting with each other in multiple places throughout the city.
  • Trees mean sap, sap means allergies!
  • It is illegal to pump your own gas...and to top off the gas tank. (Yes I'm serious, all gas stations in the state are full service.)
  • It is illegal to have your phone to your ear while driving. (Mixed feelings about this one, but I'm sure if I had a headset I'd be fine with it.)
  • It can rain a lot. (I'm lucky and it seems that it won't rain at all while I'm here, but it is a fact.)

There are good things and bad things about any place, you just have to decide if you can live with those things or not. For me, although I find Oregon lovely, and will most likely visit again soon, baring a major job offer this is not the place for me. In talking with my mother the other day I was trying to sort out why, and just can't explain it. My heart is just in Colorado. I felt something there that I am just not feeling here. Not that there is anything wrong with Oregon, just not the right place for me. So here's hoping I get the right job, and it's in Colorado. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment