Thursday, September 29, 2011

Not Exactally How I Planned It...

No I did not fall off the face of the earth, and no I didn't pick up and move to Colorado and not tell you (not yet at least!).  I'm still here, back from vacation, and a little worse for wear.  You see my trip didn't end exactly as planned, it didn't end anywhere near how I had hoped that it would.  It ended abruptly in an emergency room with 2 broken bones, a $300 traffic citation, and a lot of bruises.  Allow me to explain why you should always get travel insurance!

Two days before I left Portland I was driving back to my friends home to spend the evening with she and her husband.  Without going into details because things are still being debated with insurance companies, and the state of Oregon, I was involved in a car accident.  I ended up breaking my left hand.  My ring finger totally broke down in my palm, and my middle finger has a hairline fracture.  I spent the evening in the ER being told I would need to see an orthopedist when I got home since I may need surgery and was sent on my way with some fun painkillers.  The next day while my hosts were at work, rather than getting to do the last little bit of sight seeing that I had hoped, instead I was on the phone all day with insurance companies, rental companies, and family trying to sort everything out.  Finally I left Portland to head back home, TSA made me cry by feeling the need to pat down my splint a little too hard, and take offs and landings were rough, but I made it.

So the trip didn't end how I would have wanted.  As a matter of fact, my mother even told me that she was less worried about me in Portland than in Colorado.  Apparently we were all wrong to have thought that.  So now I'm back at my parents recovering.  All the bruises have finally healed, and the orthopedist set my ring finger, and will determine if it is healing correctly in a follow-up appointment tomorrow (Please no surgery, please no surgery, please no surgery!!!!) but other than only having the use of one hand everything seems to be working out.  Due to a traffic citation I was given though, and my insurance deductible I'll need to pay this trip ended up costing a lot more than I had expected...by about $1000!!!  So I am still jobless, have more bills to pay (of course I don't have health insurance!), and currently can't drive, or do a lot of other things due to only having use of one hand.  Online it says the type of fracture I have can take 12 weeks to heal if it remains set, if they have to do surgery it can be upwards of 6 months!  I love my parents but I cannot live here that long!

I know there's a greater plan, and everything happens for a reason, but sometimes I just wish that it didn't have to be so painful!  I don't know where I'm going, I don't have a plan, and as a person who likes to have a direction I hate it!!!  Right now though, I have to focus on healing, and looking for jobs online as I do.  I feel like I know where I'm supposed to be, Colorado, but just don't know how to get there yet.  In any case it has taken me well over an hour to type this one handed and I'm tired, so I'll keep you all updated on my condition as things progress as much as I am able too.  :-)

P.S. - Sorry for any typos, not looking back over this one, just publishing as is.  I think one handed typing may have made a few mistakes though.  Sorry!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment